Firefighters doused a small fire that could have threatened a legendary restaurant in downtown Taylor.
On Thursday, Jan. 7, a fire started at Louie Mueller Barbecue but was contained and out in about an hour. According to Taylor Fire Chief Daniel Baum, firefighters responded to a call at 3:20 p.m. to a fire at the eatery on Second Street.
Baum said a grease fire started in the main barbecue pit and extended up into the chimney of the business.
"There were no injuries. There was no apparent damage to the structure itself," Baum said.
Initially, the crew at Louie Mueller tried to put the fire out with extinguishers but were unsuccessful. Taylor firefighters responded and had to work from the inside and outside of the building.
"We had to attack the fire from the pit side and send a crew up the roof to extinguish from the chimney," Baum explained.
Though it is not a usual tactic, firefighters doused the grease fire with water.
"Water isn't typically used for grease, but when you have hot surfaces like that, it's the steam that smothers the fire," Baum said.
While there were no injuries to firefighters or customers, there was brisket in the pit that had to be disposed of after the fire.
"Because of everyone’s quick decisions and actions, the fire was contained within the brick pit and stack, minimizing its impact on the guests present, the staff and the restaurant," said a post on the Louie Mueller Facebook page.
The post also said the restaurant would be back open for business Friday at regular hours.
"We are all in good spirits and are so thankful and appreciative to everyone sending well wishes and volunteering to help. You are all family, and we are so blessed to have you in our lives. Thank you for your continuous support. We love you all," the post said.
The Taylor Fire Department was assisted by the Hutto Fire Department, and all units had cleared the scene by 4:32 p.m.