Marquis Wilson

On Saturday, a 17-year-old girl was found dead with a gunshot wound to the face at a local hospital in Taylor.

"This is a real tragedy, a 17-year-old girl is shot in the face and killed," said Taylor Police Chief Henry Fluck.

According to police reports, on Saturday, March 21, officers responded to a call at Baylor Scott and White Medical Center in Taylor for a deceased female with a gunshot wound to the face.

Police later arrested Marquis Wilson, 25, of Elgin, and he was charged with manslaughter, a second-degree felony. The other individual was deemed to be a witness in the case. She was questioned and released.

Fluck said two subjects drove to the entrance at the emergency room and Wilson ran in and said someone was in the car shot. Wilson and the female passenger fled the scene on foot. The victim, Jade Erwin, 17 of Elgin, was in the passenger seat.

Fluck said officers got a description from the hospital security guards and began searching for Wilson and the other passenger. The subjects were found about a half-mile away hiding in a dumpster behind Bealls Department Store.

An investigation revealed that the shooting happened in a moving vehicle in Bastrop County. The car belonged to the family of the victim. Erwin was dead when they arrived at the hospital.

Fluck said there was no logical reason why Wilson and the witness drove to Taylor. He said it was a poor decision because Bastrop County EMS could have responded sooner.

"Rather than drive 20 or 25 minutes, they would have gotten Bastrop County EMS in five to 10 minutes. It would have increased the change for survival for the victim," he said.

Fluck said it is unknown if the shooting was an accident or intentional, but said it was "clearly reckless."

"Manslaughter is recklessly killing an individual. The actions of this person by first intentionally discharging a firearm and then by handling, playing with it and pointing the firearm in the direction of the victim and having it discharge was a reckless act," he said.

Officers have investigated the scene and arrested Wilson. Fluck said there was no indication of drug or alcohol use.

Taylor officers were assisted by The Williamson County Crime Scene Unit, Williamson County Deputies, Taylor Police Department Victim Services, Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter unit, and the Texas Rangers.

Wilson is still in custody at the Williamson County Jail on a $50,000 bond.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.